Re: Can I have Standby Server with Oracle SE ?

From: I hate Spam <tbf_at_cn.stam.dk>
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2002 22:52:00 +0100

On Sat, 9 Feb 2002 15:10:22 +0100, "Sybrand Bakker" <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote:

>I would rather doubt that. I have seen such a 'solution' in operation using
>NT replicator. The 'solution' failed frequently. If you have ever seen what
>the Standby option can do for you, you will doubt whether mickey mouse
>solutions as you propose above, are actually much cheaper. All in all, you
>are reinventing the wheel at extra cost, which will decrease the price
>difference between SE and EE. Usually people proposing such a 'solution' do
>not account for these costs as they pay their programmers anyway, and they
>don't pay their DBAs for overtime. That is, sorry to say so, pennywise and
>pound-foolish.

Well, I actually have such a solution running for a year and a half now, implemented in Delphi.
Apart from a few snags in the beginning it has been running with no problems. After a an unintentional reboot the program automatically starts the instance in standby mode, that is unless the database has been activated of course. Switching log files, copying these and recovery are initiated at fixed intervals depending on time of day (workload).
Further my program deletes old archivelogs (>10 days old) at primary and standby..
Activating the standby has been done several times with no problems, also semiautomated by delphi.
The only serious problem in the beginning was copying an archive log that wasn't completed by Oracle, causing the recovery process to stop. The trick of course is either to insure that archiving has completed or alternatively to recopy archivelogs with same name and different size and/or time stamp on primary and standby.

The whole programming was actually quite simple and made in a few days spare time. And no - I don't have an exorbitant amount of spare time ;-)

Yours Hans Erik Busk
tbf_at_cn.stam.dk Received on Sun Feb 10 2002 - 15:52:00 CST