Re: Can I have Standby Server with Oracle SE ?

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2002 15:10:22 +0100

"I hate Spam" <tbf_at_cn.stam.dk> wrote in message news:eh2a6u8p73qkq46jceih9ltohrl27jv5s8_at_4ax.com...
> On Sat, 09 Feb 2002 14:11:14 +0400, Ganesh Raja <ganesh_at_gtfs-gulf.com>
> wrote:
>
> >i Think Standby Server Can be done on a Standard Edition..
> >
> >The Only Problem is that you cannot move the Archivelog files manually
> >since the log_archive_dest_n parameters are not available in this
> >edition.
>
> But with a little programming in perl, C, delphi or the like you can
> automate the process of copying archive logs, and apply them to the
> standby database at regular intervals (every hour or 15 minutes
> whatever your needs are).
> The savings from running a SE instead of EE can pay a lot of this kind
> of programming, and with appropriate testing, logging and documenting
> it can be made very reliable.
>
> Yours Hans Erik Busk
> tbf_at_cn.stam.dk

I would rather doubt that. I have seen such a 'solution' in operation using NT replicator. The 'solution' failed frequently. If you have ever seen what the Standby option can do for you, you will doubt whether mickey mouse solutions as you propose above, are actually much cheaper. All in all, you are reinventing the wheel at extra cost, which will decrease the price difference between SE and EE. Usually people proposing such a 'solution' do not account for these costs as they pay their programmers anyway, and they don't pay their DBAs for overtime. That is, sorry to say so, pennywise and pound-foolish.

Regards

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA