Re: install problem,8.1.7 on solaris8_x86

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2002 22:11:07 +0100

On Sun, 10 Feb 2002 20:26:14 GMT, mark a thomas <marktuid4att_at_att.net> wrote:

>I am not able to start the database.
>I followed the quick start instructions on bolthole.
>
>$ cat .profile
>ORACLE_BASE=$HOME
>ORACLE_HOME=/opt/oracle/OraHome1
>ORACLE_SID=ora1sid
>PATH=/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:$ORACLE_HOME/bin
>LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib:/usr/lib:/usr/dt/lib:/usr/openwin/lib:$ORACLE_HOME/lib
>
>export LD_LIBRARY PATH ORACLE_SID ORACLE_HOME ORACLE_BASE
>
>$ tail /etc/system
>
>set shmsys:shminfo_shmmax=209715200
>set shmsys:shminfo_shmmin=1
>set shmsys:shminfo_shmmni=100
>set shmsys:shminfo_shmseg=10
>set shmsys:seminfo_semmni=100
>set shmsys:shminfo_semmsl=100
>set shmsys:shminfo_semmns=200
>set shmsys:shminfo_semopm=100
>set shmsys:shminfo_semvmx=32767
>
>I think the dbstart script in 8.1.7 is NOT broken, but I could be
>wrong.
>

>$ which dbstart
>/opt/oracle/OraHome1/bin/dbstart
>$
>$ id
>uid=1002(oracle) gid=420(sysoper)
>$ groups
>sysoper oinstall
>$
>$ dbstart
>
>Oracle Server Manager Release 3.1.7.0.0 - Production
>
>Copyright (c) 1997, 1999, Oracle Corporation. All Rights Reserved.
>
>Oracle8i Enterprise Edition Release 8.1.7.0.0 - Production
>With the Partitioning option
>JServer Release 8.1.7.0.0 - Production
>
>SVRMGR> Connected.
>SVRMGR> ORA-03113: end-of-file on communication channel
>SVRMGR>
>Server Manager complete.
>
>Database "ora1sid" warm started.
>
>I did a "standard/default" install since this is just for learning.
>
>If anyone has done this successfully let me know and also if you have
>any hints on who to fix
>this problem let me know.
>
>Thanks.
>
>/markt

ORA-3113 during startup is frequently caused by a SGA which can't be loaded into memory. Without access to your init.ora (especially the db_block_buffers, shared_pool_size, large_pool_size and java_pool_size parameters) it is difficult to tell whether you have that situation. Messages to that effect can be found in alert_ora1sid.log Also hopefully you overrided the default dba group with sysoper, anyway your assertion you have a default install is evidently incorrect.
Finally we don't know how much memory actually is in that box, 128M is only the bare minimum.

Hth

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Sun Feb 10 2002 - 15:11:07 CST