Re: Is Sr. DBAs afraid of not be able to pass cert exam ??

From: Chris Boyle <cboyle_at_no.spam.hargray.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 06:52:27 -0500

Billions of years ago when I worked in an auto parts store the ASE came out with a certification for countermen. Id had been doing the job for a year, my boss had been there 10 years. I passed, he didn't. That completely invalidated the test in my opinion. He was very good at his job but I was better at taking test. I have dealt with DBAs that can recover from a non archived crash using a pencil, 2 rubber bands and a really hot cup of tea but they wouldn't be able to pass those test without preparation. Do I think the test have value? Yes, if only because you get exposed to other methods of doing things. Would I personally hire someone with only an OCP and no experience? Not for anything other than a very entry level position. (and I have 3 of the things.)
Have the test become a money spinner for Oracle? ABSOLUTELY!!!! They can be passed by rote even if you have no oracle experience. (not me but I have seen it done)