Re: Is Sr. DBAs afraid of not be able to pass cert exam ??

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 09:53:26 GMT

Justin John doodled thusly:

>certified. I have met non-certified senior DBAs, they are mostly people who
>got into the business when there was no certification, they simply know how
>to do the daily tasks, but they don't know all possibilities and methods
>Oracle offers.

And others are people with background university training in computer science who do NOT need to be trained in button pressing. May come as a surprise to you, but they do exist. And are highly sought after by serious companies who want to stay in business for a long time. As opposed to the "market phenomena" type company.

>and you see, there is always the chance that they fail the exam. Imagine

or there is the chance they have done the exam once without any training, succeeded, and never bothered having to fork out $$$ every second year or so to some monkey-training org just because a fad says certification is a must.

>employees do not attend the exams. You know, not everybody passes the OCP
>exams :-)

That is correct. I suspect though that most long-time-trained Oracle people can pass one of these "multiple choice" dings with a hand around their backs. That has certainly been my experience when I see "old-hands" faced with one of these things.

Cheers
Nuno Souto
nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam Received on Wed Jan 30 2002 - 03:53:26 CST