Re: Inactive Sessions Remain Open

From: Mark D Powell <mark.powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 22 Oct 2001 07:00:57 -0700

"Steven Pannell" <steven.pannell_at_gmx.net> wrote in message news:<9r0so9$r3hin$1_at_ID-82797.news.dfncis.de>...
> Hi All,
>
> I am using Oracle 8i and have lots of inactive sessions open on the
> database. In fact I have so many that the max. number of processes is being
> reached. The problem is sometimes our development applications crash
> leaving the cursor open and thus the session never goes away. Even if I
> attempt to kill the session it still reamains open.
>
> How can I set up Oracle to remove/kill dead sessions without restarting the
> database.
>
> thanks for any help,
>
> Steve.

1 - When the front-end process is gone perform the killing of the Oracle session background process at the OS level: kill -9 xxxxxx. If using NT use the orakill utility not the alter session command to kill runaway sessions.

2 - Net 8 has an idle connection timeout parameter that you might be able to use; however, you cannot use it if you have continuous batch programs that can go idle waiting for an external signal while holding a connection to Oracle ( example waiting on a VMS mailbox read).

3 - If you have PC based clients try to teach the users to always exit through the application rather than use the X in the upper right window corner.

4 - In the past a couple of find and kill dead/idle connections scripts have been posted on the newgroup and you may want to try a google search on the topic.

I hope some of this proves helpful.