Re: Advice on VMS/SAN/Oracle needed

From: Mark D Powell <mark.powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 22 Oct 2001 07:08:49 -0700

w.oosterom_at_cjib.minjus.nl (Wilco Oosterom) wrote in message news:<5ba5a045.0110220205.63d01a56_at_posting.google.com>...
> Hello,
>
> In our current production environment we have 11 7.3.2.3.2 databases
> running on VMS 7.1-2 (old certified setup).
> Because we run into limitations of our servers our VMS group decided
> (against our wishes) to upgrade VMS to version 7.2-2 running in
> heterogeneous cluster, with the same old 7.3.2.3.2 Oracle software.
> They also want to implement SAN (Storage Area Network) in this
> cluster.
>
> Since I am not able to find/locate anyone running such a combination
> (I know it is not certified, but the compaq engineer states it is
> running on several locations around the world).
> Could you point me to any possible pitfalls, do's/dont's, problems to
> watch out for?
> Upgrade of Oracle is not possible before January 2002.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>

> Wilco Oosterom

1- As a general rule if the disk works with the VMS cluster then Oracle won't care that the disk is a SAN's unit, EMC box, Network Application box, or just plan old disk units.

2- We ran 7.3.4 on 7.1 and it didn't seem to notice when we upgraded the OS to 7.2.1

3- You should consider getting your systems to the terminal release of 7.3.4.x
if the purpose of upgrading the OS to 7.2 which is required to run Oracle version 8.1 is other than so you can upgrade to 8.1.

Good luck