Re: cannot connect to oracle

From: Ron Reidy <ron_at_indra.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2001 17:55:33 -0600

Rob wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> i have been using for 2 months now oracle 8.1.7. on a windows2000 system
> without any problems.
> Since yesterday though i cannot connect to oracle. The error messages are
> the following:
> - ORA-01034: ORACLE not available
> - ORA-27101:Shared memory realm does not exist
>
> Windows was shut down in a normal way yesterday, nothing has been changed
> and today, out of the
> blue, these errors appeared.
> I don't get any wiser from the solutions, given by the error messages.
>
> I've stopped and started all oracle services, but I still can't connect :(
>
> Does anyone have any idea what could have caused this? and better yet, how
> can I solve this problem?
>
> Thanx in advance,
> Rob

Either your DB's service did not start, or it did start, but the instance did not.

Look at the following:
1. %ORACLE_HOME%\database\oradim.log
2. The alert log (wherever you have it.

After you do this, consult metalink regarding the problem (note that you may need to make some registry changes to ensure the instance starts when the service starts).

--
Ron Reidy
Oracle DBA