Re: Switch database to READ ONLY mode

From: Mark Townsend <markbtownsend_at_home.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 02:14:40 GMT

in article tqcb195kuatf2f_at_news.demon.nl, Sybrand Bakker at postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl wrote on 9/17/01 9:56 AM:

> Can you give me any good convincing reasons, which will force my firm to
> drop support for Oracle 7?

Well - you don't mention your OS, but the DB is just the first in a whole stack of cards. Not keeping the DB current means that you can't go to the latest OS, which means that you can't take the latest hardware or IO upgrades. Any sort of problem anywhere in the stack could mean you are SOL. And if you ever lose the particular machine you are on, it may also mean that your backups are mostly useless - as a replacement machine is unlikely to come with the current OS version you are currently running. Received on Mon Sep 17 2001 - 21:14:40 CDT