Re: Switch database to READ ONLY mode

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2001 18:56:45 +0200

"Howard J. Rogers" <howardjr_at_www.com> wrote in message news:3ba569bc$1_at_news.iprimus.com.au...

> "Sybrand Bakker" <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote in message
> >
> > "Scott" <scott_tiger75_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > Greetings to all DBAs,
> > >
> > > I need to replace an Oracle 8.1.6 production server (server A) with
> > > another one (server B).
> > >
> > > Here's what I plan to do to achieve it :
> > > 1- switch server A database to READ ONLY mode to prevent any writing.
> > > 2- perform a full export of server A database
> > > 3- import the dump file into server B database
> > > 4- check server B is working fine and prepare it to replace server A
> > > 5- shutdown server A database and disconnect the machine
> > > 6- connect server B
> > >
> > > Do i need to shutdown the server A database to re-open it in READ ONLY
> > > mode with "ALTER DATABASE OPEN READ ONLY" ? Same question if I would
> > > like to switch my database to READ WRITE.
> > >
> > > Thanks a lot for any advices.
> > >
> > > Scott
> >
> > There is no such thing as read only mode, or you must want to switch all
> > individual tablespaces to read only.
>
> Come on Sybrand! This particular feature has been around since 8i was
first
> released, and was one of its exciting new features. Of course you can
open
> a database read only. How do you think the Standby can be used as a
> reporting database if you couldn't?
>
> > There is however, a restricted session mode during which only users with
> the
> > dba role can connect. Assuming not everyone has the dba role, I would
set
> > the the database in restricted session mode.
> > Alter system enable_restricted_session = true
> >
> > will accomplish this.
> >

> Just to re-iterate: read only is unrestricted, but no DML. Restricted
> session is 'only restricted session privlege owners need apply', but once
> they're on, they can do everything they're used to being able to do. Two
> very different scenarios.
>
> Sybrand: are you having an Oracle 7 day or something??!
>
> Regards
> HJR
>

> > Hth,
> >
> > Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

Complaints to my employer, a Dutch consultancy firm, who still force me to work with desupported crap for more than 80 percent of my hours. How I will ever get to use 9i is a mystery for me.
Many Dutch firms refuse to upgrade. Our DoD is still on 7.3.2 (or was it 7.2.3) and they refuse to upgrade. Of course these databases are supported by Oracle Netherlands.
I can't help it, I still haven't used 8i for a period longer than a few weeks.
I have Personal Oracle 8i at home, but for obvious reasons I need to reserve spare time for other things.

Can you give me any good convincing reasons, which will force my firm to drop support for Oracle 7?

Regards,

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA Received on Mon Sep 17 2001 - 11:56:45 CDT