tnsping works, SQL/Plus does not

From: Cory Phillips <cory_at_localhost.localdomain>
Date: 30 Aug 2001 04:29:50 -0600

I'm trying to use SQL/Plus I have installed on Windows 98 which I got from personal Oracle 8. I'm trying to connect to my database on a Linux box. I have verified Oracle is running on Linux as well as the TNSListener. I'm able to use SQL/Plus on Linux. However, I'm unable to connect to Oracle from the client. I assume that my tnsnames.ora file is configured correctly, because I can issue the tnsping command from a DOS command line and it works.

I have also viewed the listener log files and there are entries in the log file from tnsping, but nothing from SQL/Plus.

Is there some bug with SQL/Plus from Personal Oracle or does it not come with everything I need to connect to a server? Can anyone provide any pointers?

--
Cory Phillips
cory_h_phillips_at_yahoo.com