Re: tnsping works, SQL/Plus does not

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 11:42:53 +0200

"Cory Phillips" <cory_at_localhost.localdomain> wrote in message news:slrn9os23l.11m.cory_at_localhost.localdomain...
> I'm trying to use SQL/Plus I have installed on Windows 98 which I got
> from personal Oracle 8. I'm trying to connect to my database on a Linux
> box. I have verified Oracle is running on Linux as well as the
> TNSListener. I'm able to use SQL/Plus on Linux. However, I'm unable to
> connect to Oracle from the client. I assume that my tnsnames.ora file
> is configured correctly, because I can issue the tnsping command from a
> DOS command line and it works.
>
> I have also viewed the listener log files and there are entries in the
> log file from tnsping, but nothing from SQL/Plus.
>
> Is there some bug with SQL/Plus from Personal Oracle or does it not come
> with everything I need to connect to a server? Can anyone provide any
> pointers?
>
> --
> Cory Phillips
> cory_h_phillips_at_yahoo.com

tsnping basically guarantees the server is running and can be reached, and the listener is running.
It does not guarantee the database is running, and you can connect to it. There shouldn't be any limitations in sql*plus for personal oracle. You are very quick to consider this 'a bug'
That said, we need you to hunt for specific error messages because 'It doesn't work' is just too vague for any resolution to your problem.

Regards,

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA Received on Thu Aug 30 2001 - 04:42:53 CDT