Re: How insert new field in between?

From: Daniel Cloutier <danielcloutier_at_web.de>
Date: 23 Aug 2001 17:28:44 +0200

Galen Boyer <galenboyer_at_hotpop.com> wrote:
>On 23 Aug 2001, danielcloutier_at_web.de wrote:

Hi Galen!

>> I have quite a problem with one of my tables in my Oracle db. I
>> wanted to insert a new field into my table using the ALTER sql
>> command. Now, this command appends the desired field at the end
>> of the table.
>
>So, when you do a "desc table" you see the new column?

Yes, the new column has been created and I can see it.

>> The last field in this table is of type LONG and somehow, I
>> cannot acces the appended field(VARCHAR2(1).
>
>First, why did you use varchar2 for a single character length
>field? char(1).

I donīt know :) I am not a DBA and I was told to do so. I am just a programmer who needs to access the tables. In this particular case, I found out, that I cannot acces columns that are after the column of type LONG. I do this with the JDBC. If the long column is last column of table, I can access all columns without any problems.

>Second, if you do "select new_column from table" do you get an
>error or to you get no data?

Select works fine. I gues, it is just another JAVA problem but I wanted to know, if it possible, to insert a new column between existing colums. Thatīs why I was asking in this NG. Just to go around the Java problem. Joerg

News suchen, lesen, schreiben mit http://newsgroups.web.de