Why DBA?

From: Dino Hsu <dino1_at_ms1.hinet.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 19:04:02 +0800

Dear all,

My company is going to replace the order managment system with an ERP package and Oracle database. We have been using this system for 15 years, we write RPG programs accessing the S36 file system on an AS/400 machine, which rarely requires any database administration except for backup. Quite naturally, people wonder why we need a DBA for the new system. What does an DBA do that programmers cannot do? Why aren't an DBA necessary for AS/400 packages? Any comments are highly appreciated.

Dino Received on Thu Aug 23 2001 - 06:04:02 CDT