Re: Why DBA?

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2001 10:10:59 +0100

"Dino Hsu" <dino1_at_ms1.hinet.net> wrote in message news:tbo9otoesl3s6jh5hg2h8ai9dr4l46priu_at_4ax.com...
>Quite naturally, people wonder why we need a DBA
> for the new system. What does an DBA do that programmers cannot do?

The answer is (or should be ) nothing. That doesn't mean necessarily that you do not need one. The tasks of a DBA are (according to Oracle and I tend to agree).

a.. Installing and upgrading the Oracle server and application tools

b.. Allocating system storage and planning future storage requirements for the database system

c.. Creating primary database storage structures (tablespaces) after application developers have designed an application

d.. Creating primary objects (tables, views, indexes) once application developers have designed an application

e.. Modifying the database structure, as necessary, from information given by application developers

f.. Enrolling users and maintaining system security

g.. Ensuring compliance with your Oracle license agreement

h.. Controlling and monitoring user access to the database

i.. Monitoring and optimizing the performance of the database

j.. Planning for backup and recovery of database information

k.. Maintaining archived data on tape

l.. Backing up and restoring the database

m.. Contacting Oracle Corporation for technical support .

A good competent prgrammer should be able to do all or most of these. On the other hand do ylou want your programmers to take responsibility for tuning, backup changing passwords etc or do you want them to be responsible for developing applications and enhancing functionality.

It is important to note that all of the above tasks need to be done by someone whatever their job title.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA