SVRMGR on the way out?

From: Alanoly J. Andrews <alanolya_at_invera.com>
Date: 16 Jul 2001 08:26:12 -0700

I've heard in this NG that Oracle 9i does away with "internal" and also the utility SVRMGR. All functions of SVRMGR are reportedly available in SQLPLUS. I know of at least one function which SVRMGR can do and SQLPLUS cannot (in Oracle 8i), ie to connect to an Oracle Instance which for some reason is in a "permanent" shutdown state. You can mimic this by starting the shutdown command and doing an interrupt (^C) before the shutdown completes. If you then quit from SQLPLUS or SVRMGR, you cannot re-connect with SQLPLUS. You will get a message saying that no connections are allowed. But you CAN re-connect by doing SVRMGRL and "connect internal". You can then do "shutdown abort" and complete the shutdown process.

Possibly there are some other such differences, too. I hope 9i has truly preserved all of SVRMGR's and INTERNAL's capabilities.

Alanoly Andrews. Received on Mon Jul 16 2001 - 10:26:12 CDT