Oracle errors not logging to alert log

From: Ed Stevens <ed.stevens_at_home.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 20:25:01 GMT

 Subject: Oracle errors not logging to alert log.

Platform: Oracle 8.0.5.1.1 on NT 4, sp6

Why would an Oracle error reported by an application not show up in the alert log?

We just spent the better part of the afternoon chasing down an ORA-02292. One of the first things I tried to do when it was reported by the application programmer was to take a look at the alert log, hoping to be pointed to a trace file where I could get my hands on the offending SQL statement. But there was no entry in the alert log, and there were no trace files generated in the last several days. Does anyone have an explanation for the lack of log and trace entries?

(The 2292 itself was obviously a problem in the application code, which leaves us wondering why it didn't manifest itself earlier, but that's another question for another day . . . .)

--
- Ed Stevens

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/