sql query to display search engine paging results

From: <robert_b_allen_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 20:24:26 GMT

Hi,

We are having a problem finding the right query to return the next resultset of say 75 when querying on last, first, and middle names. There are say 300 people with lastname like 'ALLEN%' and we want to show 75 records per page. Rownum doesn't group them by lastname,firstname so that doesn't work. Also if we know the 75'th record is say John M. Allen and we do a > , then it will not return Amanda Allen-Smith becuase Allen-Smith is like 'ALLEN%' but Amanda is < John. Do you understand my problem. We could build temporary views but that would require a lot of work and a lot of memory. Is there any way to do this with Oracle8 not 8i?

Thanks for your help.

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/ Received on Tue Jan 16 2001 - 14:24:26 CST