Re: Oracle errors not logging to alert log

From: Zatherus <zatherus_at_theriver.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 21:56:18 -0700

On Tue, 16 Jan 2001 20:25:01 GMT, Ed Stevens <ed.stevens_at_home.com> wrote:

> Subject: Oracle errors not logging to alert log.
>
>Platform: Oracle 8.0.5.1.1 on NT 4, sp6
>
>Why would an Oracle error reported by an application not show up in the
>alert log?
>
>We just spent the better part of the afternoon chasing down an
>ORA-02292. One of the first things I tried to do when it was reported
>by the application programmer was to take a look at the alert log,
>hoping to be pointed to a trace file where I could get my hands on the
>offending SQL statement. But there was no entry in the alert log, and
>there were no trace files generated in the last several days. Does
>anyone have an explanation for the lack of log and trace entries?
>
>(The 2292 itself was obviously a problem in the application code, which
>leaves us wondering why it didn't manifest itself earlier, but that's
>another question for another day . . . .)

Not all errors will log themselves in the alert log. Can you imagine how large it would get every time someone mistyped their password or misspelled a column name? The alert log is specifically for problems that could potentially be critical to the health or usability of the database. Running out of extents in a tablespace or table for example. Or the infamous ORA-00600.

The error you mention above was mearly the program trying to delete a row reference by a foriegn key. Right off hand I can't think of a DML that would cause an alert log entry unless something more serious was wrong. Like running out of room.

Regards,
Z Received on Tue Jan 16 2001 - 22:56:18 CST