Re: Mysterious disk activity

From: John <john_nospam_at_tolltex.com>
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2001 19:11:49 GMT

"Connor McDonald" <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:3A55A3A9.7739_at_yahoo.com...
> John wrote:
> >
> > This all makes sense to me. My problem is I cant find a way to diasable
 or
> > extend the time period for the checkpoint process.
> >
> > The Oracle docs tell me to use "CHECKPOINT_PROCESS=FALSE" in the
 init.ora
> > file, but on startup, the DB tells me that "CHECKPOINT_PROCESS" is an
> > invalid parameter. I get the same result when changing the
 configuration
> > using the oracle instance manager.
> >
> > Any other Ideas ?
> >
> > Oracle lover/hater:
> > John
> >
> > "Niall Litchfield" <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk> wrote in
 message
> > > "Jining Han" <hanj_at_mailcity.com> wrote in message
 sessions
 open,
 come
 up dry.

> > > Reproducible on Unix,VMS etc as well. By default the DB will
 checkpoint
> > > every 3 seconds.
> > >

> > > --
> > > Niall Litchfield
> > > Oracle DBA
> > > Audit Commission UK
> > >

> Why worry about it ?
>

> One tiny I/O every three seconds will pale into insignficance once your
> database starts getting used in earnest...
>

> HTH
> Connor

My backup software is failing with the error "unable to get sufficient disk quiet time". Besides this, I think it is silly for the disk to be written to every three seconds, 24/7/365 even if no sessions are open. This seems to just be asking for premature disk failure.

John

P.S. I already had my "log_checkpoint_interval" increased from 3 to 60 to no effect. Received on Fri Jan 05 2001 - 13:11:49 CST