Re: Oracle RDBMS performance on multiprocessor systems. [Q]

From: <argosy22_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2000 01:19:42 GMT

If you are running unix, work the database nice and hard. Then try this command:

mpstat 3 5

it will give you the stats for each cpu. I've seen Oracle 734 work all 6 of our CPUs pretty good sometimes.

You can also iostat, or vmstat, or sar, but these don't break down to each CPU.

As always, the biggest thing that you can do to speed up performance is to reduce reads to the hard drive. It's thousands of times slower than doing things in memory and the cpu.

In article <3A062B03.D4AEB4C3_at_marine.csiro.au>,   Miroslaw Ryba <miroslaw.ryba_at_marine.csiro.au> wrote:

> Hello Everyone,
>
> I have recently heard an opinion that the Oracle database engine
> does not take full benefit of multiple processor hardware until
> the number of processors reaches four.
> I am not sure if this statement was ment to describe a general
> property of Oracle RDBMS or some particular hardware+OS+Oracle
> combination.
>
> Is there anyone on this list who could share some experience or
> knowledge in this area?
>
> We are currently planning purchase of a new Sun Enterprise Server
> to host large database and would very much appreciate any advice.
>
> Regards,
>
> Miroslaw Ryba,
> Oracle DBA
> CSIRO - Marine Research
> Hobart, Australia.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Fri Nov 10 2000 - 19:19:42 CST