Re: RMAN or not RMAN

From: Juhan Kundla <juhan_at_ensib.NICHT-SPAM.ee>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2000 13:28:54 +0200

AFAIK there is one fundamental difference between OS level datafile copy and RMAN copy. When using OS copy, you have to copy the whole datafile. RMAN copies only those datafile blocks that contain data and you can take incremental block level backups. This reduces time needed for taking backups, but you need a recovery catalog for storing backup information. There is one more feature -- RMAN verifies data block checksum on every recovery, so you can be sure that your backup is healthy. BTW, this checksum is stored in data block header, so when you recover your datafiles using RMAN, you won't get the *exact* copy of datafile as it was at momentum when backup was taken.

HTH,
Juhan

--
|NB! Please remove|