Re: RMAN or not RMAN

From: Bill Border <bb22_at_uswest.net>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2000 08:54:51 -0600

 Hi,

 We have been using RMAN (with Veritas) for about 9 months to backup about 150 Oracle DB's daily. Most of the problems that we have encountered have been with Veritas, not RMAN.

 As far as it being difficult to use, we invested the time before the production rollout to test RMAN and gain an understanding of how it works. It really does greatly simplify the entire process. For example when doing a point in time restore, we supply the timestamp that we want to restore to and RMAN automatically determines which full, incremental and archive logs to restore, it restores them to the server and runs the necessary Oracle commands. Cool!

 Before you run a backup or restore, you must tell RMAN to allocate channels. Every channel is a parallel stream to your storage management software, so that it how you get parallelism. How many streams that you can run seems to be more of a storage management software limitation than an Oracle limitation.

 There are a few gotchas. For example if you add a datafile, you must immediately backup the newly created datafile or you will not be able to rollforward through the time when the datafile was added.

 Feel free to email me at bb22_at_uswest.net if you have any questions.

 If this response has been helpful, you can repay me by visiting: http://dbamon.com

Regards,
Bill

--