Re: Database Cloning

From: <wteague_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2000 17:53:22 GMT

Thank you for that suggestion, but the database is too large to reasonably export/import. I have seen this procedure done before, but cannot remember if it was between servers. At any rate, one of the advantages of Unix is the portability between platforms. It is a point worth pursuing and I will look into it.

Regards,

In article <39DDF215.4694930E_at_ensib.NICHT-SPAM.ee>,   Juhan Kundla <juhan_at_ensib.NICHT-SPAM.ee> wrote:
> I seriously doubt, that this is the standard procedure to clone a
> database. This may work, when you use *exactly* the same versions of
> operating system and db-engine, but I wouldn't recommend it. Why on
> Earth are you not using the exp and imp utilities? It is quite
 obvious,
> that Oracle data files have different structure on different OS
 platfoms
> and there is no chance to get your db up on HP that easily.
>
> HTH,
> Juhan
>
> wteague_at_my-deja.com wrote:
> >
> > I am trying to port a database existing on a Sun server to a HP
 server.

> > The steps I followed are :
> >
> > 1) Do the Alter database backup control file to trace from the 1st
> > database.
> > 2) Shutdown the 1st Database
> > 3) Copy all the database files and log files to the new directory
> > structures on HP server using FTP.
> > 4) Modify the init.ora of the 2nd instance to specify the db_name
 etc.
> > 5) Change the trace file generated by control file to trace
 utility to
> > specify the new db_name (same as the init.ora of the 2nd database)
> > and new directory structures.
> > 6) Startup Nomount the 2nd instance.
> > 7) Execute the control file trace script
> > 8) After I enter command 'alter database open resetlogs' I
> > consistently get the error: ORA-01578: Oracle data block corrupted
> > (file # , block # )
> >
> > Any suggestions?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Wade
> >
> > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> > Before you buy.
>
> --
> +-----------------+
> |NB! Please remove|
> | .NICHT-SPAM |
> | when replying |
> | to get my |
> | *REAL* |
> | e-mail address! |
> | |
> | Cheers, Juhan |

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Fri Oct 06 2000 - 12:53:22 CDT