Re: Database Cloning

From: Philip Chee <philip_at_aleytys.pc.my>
Date: Sat, 07 Oct 2000 13:06:27 GMT

In article <8rl3ii$jv2$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com> wteague_at_my-deja.com writes:

>Thank you for that suggestion, but the database is too large to
>reasonably export/import. I have seen this procedure done before, but
>cannot remember if it was between servers. At any rate, one of the
>advantages of Unix is the portability between platforms. It is a point
>worth pursuing and I will look into it.

This is guaranteed to work only for identical hardware architecture, OS level (including patches) and RDBMS version.

Even between Solaris/Sparc and Solaris/Intel you have the big-endian vs. little-endian problem. I don't know the HP PA architecture. Is it big or little endian?

Philip

 Philip Chee: Tasek Corporation Berhad, P.O.Box 254, 30908 Ipoh, MALAYSIA   e-mail: philip_at_aleytys.pc.my Voice:+60.5.291.1011 Fax:+60.5.291.9932    Guard us from the she-wolf and the wolf, and guard us from the thief,
---
 þ 20259.07 þ Fatal Database Error #10070: Sysop late for work