Re: Web Forms or Java??

From: <buurd_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 06:49:19 GMT

I'm no expert, just playing around but the main difference between webforms and java (app? applet?) is where it consumse processor. In an applet or application you place some calculations on the client witch naturally will make it easier for the server. But if you use an appserver it shouldn't affect the database. An application or applet will most likely give a quicker reaction to the user since the server will have shorter responsetimes (fewer steps) and you could manupilate small portions of the screen instead of getting a whole new throuh html. Remember that the smart way of programming is to seperate the presentation from the businesslogic and then you could chose different way of presentation for different tasks, someone who are working much against the system might requiere quicker system than the one who starts a big jobb a day. If you have a lot of computers that should work against the system and you don't want to upgrade every compute automaticly you should use html for the less clientintensive jobs and javaapplets for the jobs that requiers more of the client.

I hope that helps a little even if it wasn't exactly what you were asking for.

In article <7sb5fr$kj8$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   coakleyj_at_hotmail.com wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> This is a question that Oracle Consultants/trainers etc etc
> avoid like the plague - they refuse to answer.
>
> Basically, if I'm developing an Intranet application against
> an Oracle8i database. But I have no idea as to whether we
> should use Oracle Developer (and Developer Server) or develop
> using Java (say using JDeveloper from ORacle or any other
> Java development environment).
> I'm looking for the technical merits and issues here - Assume
> that we have a skilled team with both Oracle Developer and Java
> capabilities.
>
> 1.So which solution will run better?
> 2.Which will provide the best performance?
> 3.Should I maybe even try to use the PL/SQL cartridge of
> Oracle Application server together with JavaScript?
> 4.Is there a full list of things to be considered?
> 5. If the application were to be deployed over the WWW
> (rather than just an Intranet), would it change any of
> the above or the ultimate choice?
>
> This sort of information seems really hard to come by.
>
> All help greatly appreciated.
>
> Coakleyj

Roland Carlsson
Certified Java programmer
Skövde
Sweden

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Thu Sep 23 1999 - 01:49:19 CDT