Can you copy datafiles from one OS to another?

From: A Hairy Old Man <oldhairy_at_uswest.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 06:52:01 GMT

Hello all,

This came out of a discussion I had with another Oracle techie over a beer (uhmm.... Ok, over several beers) so I don't even know if it makes sense.

Anyway, is it possible to copy datafiles from one OS say Unix to NT or VMS and rebuild an instance? If so, what are the constraints?

We were guessing that it could only be tables and indexes as opposed to system, rollbacks, redologs, etc. and maybe only among same cpu systems with same file block factor. But again, we were pretty much blasted.

Any comments are very welcomed, as well as some pain killers : ) Received on Thu Sep 23 1999 - 01:52:01 CDT