Re: Best way to learn oracle basics - self study

From: Van Messner <vmessner_at_netaxis.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 19:46:15 -0400

    Buy the trial 8i CD. You don't have the hassle of downloading and you can load or reload products whenever you need them. This CD ships without Enterprise Manager, so also buy the 8.0.5 CD to get Enterprise Manager 1.6. Buying the CDs will also include the first few books you need to install Oracle and set up a simple database. Buy more Ram if you have to. Try for 192M or more. At some point you'll want to create a second database so you can learn about links.

    You definitely need the server edition, not the client, even if you're going to set it up on NT workstation.

    Oracle Press and O'Reilly both do good books, by and large. You can browse them at Barnes and Noble, then buy the ones you want at FatBrain and save money.

    Register yourself as a devloper at the Oracle technical site. It's free. Then you can access Oracle's own documentation. It's often better than commercial books. Join the IOUGA also.

    Every time you read about something interesting on forums like this, try it out. Make your own notebook in Word with a table of contents for things you discover or that are worth noting down.

    Oracle is very encouraging to people who want to learn their products. They're not going to give you free technical support but they'll provide just about anything else.