Re: Best way to learn oracle basics - self study

From: Jerry Gitomer <jgitomer_at_hbsrx.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 14:47:57 -0400

Hi Daisy,

Download or buy the Trial version of the standard Oracle Workgroup Server for NT. Depending on how much RAM you have you should get 8.0.5 (you need at least 32MB of RAM) or 8i -- aka 8.1.5 which I understand should have 128MB for a single user.

I can't make any useful suggestions on beginner level books since I know too much and don't have the patience to read them. There is an Oracle for Beginners book from Oracle Press which may prove useful. Once you understand it you may want to get copies of the DBA handbook and the Complete Reference. Both were authored by Kevin Loney and are also available from Oracle Press.

regards and good luck
Jerry Gitomer

Daisy wrote in message <37c3ed58_at_news1.us.ibm.net>...
>Hello:
>
>As a newbie I want some advice on what is the best way to learn
oracle
>fundamentals at home, basically sql, pl/sql and sql*plus.
>
>The courses offered by oracle are very expensive so I would like
to study by
>myself. Please tell me if I need to download the client and the
server. I
>looked up the free downloads page but I am confused as to which
one would be
>the best one to download.
>
>I have NT workstation 4.0 at home and also have access to a
machine running
>NT server.
>
>If there's is any other point that I need to keep in mind,
please let me
>know.
>
>Thanks for your help.
>
>I apologize if this is not the correct forum to post this
message.