Re: COMPATIBLE parameter not being read...why?

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 12:52:23 GMT

A copy of this was sent to "Christopher Allen" <progplusSPAMBEGONE_at_gte.net> (if that email address didn't require changing) On Wed, 11 Aug 1999 01:23:56 GMT, you wrote:

>I changed the COMPATIBLE string in intiORCL.ora to 7.3.4.0.1 (the version
>that shows when you log in with SQL*Plus), bounced the database, and the
>COMPATIBLE parameter still isn't "taking".
>
>As noted in another message in this thread, when I go into SVRMGRL and enter
>the command "show parameter compatible", the two entries that display
>("compatible" and "compatible_no_recovery"), both have blank values.
>
>The check-constraint example I gave was accurate but silly. Far more
>importantly, I'm not able to do necessary work with the database. For
>instance, the rocket scientist who set this database up gave the USERS
>datafile a size of 1MB. I want to expand this, but cannot, because the
>Storage Manager tells me my Compatible parameter is not sufficient.
>
>Any thoughts what could be causing this behavior?
>
>Thanks.

are you sure you are updating the correct init file?

how about changing some other parameter in this file and verifying that it takes (eg: change the db_block_buffers and see if the sga size changes on startup).

by default, the pfile for oracle will be

$ORACLE_HOME/dbs/init$ORACLE_SID.ora

I've changed my compatible over and over on 7.3.4 on solaris and have not been able to reproduce.

>Sybrand Bakker <postmaster_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote in message
>> Could it be your string is too short
>> 7.3.4.0
>> against
>> 7.3.0.0.0
>> Sometimes Oracle can be very stupid.
>> I'm not sure why you want to create a check(c1 is not null) constraint on
>> column, which is already mandatory.
>> Just asking...
>>
>> Hth,
>>
>> Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA
>>
>> Christopher Allen <progplusSPAMBEGONE_at_gte.net> wrote in message
>> > I'm trying to perform a simple DDL operation that my Solaris Oracle
>> > 7.3.4.0.1 server is refusing to run, citing a problem with its
>COMPATIBLE
>> > parameter. The thing is: its COMPATIBLE parameter is actually fine.
>> >
>> > The problem appears when I run this command:
>> > CREATE TABLE T2
>> >
>> > C1 NUMBER NOT NULL,
>> > C2 VARCHAR2(30) NULL,
>> > C3 DATE NULL,
>> > CHECK (C1 IS NOT NULL)
>> > )
>> > PCTFREE 10
>> > PCTUSED 40
>> > INITRANS 1
>> > MAXTRANS 255
>> > STORAGE (
>> > INITIAL 1024K
>> > NEXT 1024K
>> > MINEXTENTS 1
>> > MAXEXTENTS 2147483645
>> > PCTINCREASE 1)
>> > ;
>> >
>> > The response is:
>> > CHECK (C1 IS NOT NULL)
>> > *
>> > ERROR at line 5:
>> > ORA-00406: COMPATIBLE parameter needs to be 7.3.0.0.0 or greater
>> >
>> > The COMPATIBLE parameter *is* greater than 7.3.0.0.0. Here is the line
>> from
>> > the initORCL.ORA file:
>> > compatible = 7.3.4.0
>> >
>> > I would appreciate ANY ideas about what could be causing this problem.

Opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect those of Oracle Corporation Received on Wed Aug 11 1999 - 07:52:23 CDT