Re: COMPATIBLE parameter not being read...why?

From: Christopher Allen <progplusSPAMBEGONE_at_gte.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 01:23:56 GMT

I changed the COMPATIBLE string in intiORCL.ora to 7.3.4.0.1 (the version that shows when you log in with SQL*Plus), bounced the database, and the COMPATIBLE parameter still isn't "taking".

As noted in another message in this thread, when I go into SVRMGRL and enter the command "show parameter compatible", the two entries that display ("compatible" and "compatible_no_recovery"), both have blank values.

The check-constraint example I gave was accurate but silly. Far more importantly, I'm not able to do necessary work with the database. For instance, the rocket scientist who set this database up gave the USERS datafile a size of 1MB. I want to expand this, but cannot, because the Storage Manager tells me my Compatible parameter is not sufficient.

Any thoughts what could be causing this behavior?

Thanks.

Sybrand Bakker <postmaster_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote in message news:934305532.14577.0.pluto.d4ee154e_at_news.demon.nl...
> Could it be your string is too short
> 7.3.4.0
> against
> 7.3.0.0.0
> Sometimes Oracle can be very stupid.
> I'm not sure why you want to create a check(c1 is not null) constraint on
> column, which is already mandatory.
> Just asking...
>
> Hth,
>
> Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA
>
> Christopher Allen <progplusSPAMBEGONE_at_gte.net> wrote in message
> > I'm trying to perform a simple DDL operation that my Solaris Oracle
> > 7.3.4.0.1 server is refusing to run, citing a problem with its
COMPATIBLE