Re: COMPATIBLE parameter not being read...why?

From: Christopher Allen <progplusSPAMBEGONE_at_gte.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 18:54:34 GMT

I was editing the right init.ora file for the instance I was using, but your question got me to thinking, because the database has multipe instances. Checking the UNIX environment, I determined that a different instance was specified in the ORACLE_SID environment variable.

So I edited the init.ora file for that instance, and the problem went away. Of course, a new one appeared. The problem I'm running into is rollback segments that are failing to extend (ORA-01562: failed to extend rollback segment number 2; ORA-01628: max # extents (121) reached for rollabck segment). When I try to increase the number of extents the rollback segment can use, I get the following error msesage:  ORA-01545: rollback segment 'RBS_NAME_HERE' specified not available

The Oracle documentation for this error message is useless. It states four cases in which the message can appear: the first two are when one is trying to bring an offline RBS online, and the other two are when one is trying to drop a RBS. Neither of these is the case here.

If you have any thoughts about what could be causing this, I'd sure like to hear about it.

Thanks for your assistance,
Christopher

Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com> wrote in message news:37b6719b.4657116_at_newshost.us.oracle.com...
> A copy of this was sent to "Christopher Allen"
<progplusSPAMBEGONE_at_gte.net>
> (if that email address didn't require changing)
> On Wed, 11 Aug 1999 01:23:56 GMT, you wrote:
>
> >I changed the COMPATIBLE string in intiORCL.ora to 7.3.4.0.1 (the version
> >that shows when you log in with SQL*Plus), bounced the database, and the
> >COMPATIBLE parameter still isn't "taking".
> >
> >As noted in another message in this thread, when I go into SVRMGRL and
enter
> >the command "show parameter compatible", the two entries that display
> >("compatible" and "compatible_no_recovery"), both have blank values.
> >
> >The check-constraint example I gave was accurate but silly. Far more
> >importantly, I'm not able to do necessary work with the database. For
> >instance, the rocket scientist who set this database up gave the USERS
> >datafile a size of 1MB. I want to expand this, but cannot, because the
> >Storage Manager tells me my Compatible parameter is not sufficient.
> >
> >Any thoughts what could be causing this behavior?
> >
> >Thanks.
>

> are you sure you are updating the correct init file?
>
> how about changing some other parameter in this file and verifying that it
takes
> (eg: change the db_block_buffers and see if the sga size changes on
startup).

> by default, the pfile for oracle will be
>
> $ORACLE_HOME/dbs/init$ORACLE_SID.ora
>
> I've changed my compatible over and over on 7.3.4 on solaris and have not
been
> able to reproduce.
> >

> >Sybrand Bakker <postmaster_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote in message
> >> Could it be your string is too short
> >> 7.3.4.0
> >> against
> >> 7.3.0.0.0
> >> Sometimes Oracle can be very stupid.
> >> I'm not sure why you want to create a check(c1 is not null) constraint
on
> >> column, which is already mandatory.
> >> Just asking...
> >>
> >> Hth,
> >>
> >> Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA
> >>
> >> Christopher Allen <progplusSPAMBEGONE_at_gte.net> wrote in message
> >COMPATIBLE

> >> from

> --
> See http://govt.us.oracle.com/~tkyte/ for my columns 'Digging-in to
Oracle8i'...
> Current article is "Part I of V, Autonomous Transactions" updated June
21'st

> Thomas Kyte tkyte_at_us.oracle.com
> Oracle Service Industries Reston, VA USA
>
> Opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect those of Oracle
Corporation Received on Wed Aug 11 1999 - 13:54:34 CDT