Re: Index rebuilding behavior

From: <skubiszewski_at_Eisner.DECUS.Org>
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 1999 17:42:16 GMT

In article <7ocl5d$n5v$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>, Tim_Cuthbertson_at_sonat.com writes:
>In article <FFyG1o.DEp_at_news.decus.org>,
> skubiszewski_at_Eisner.DECUS.Org wrote:
>> [snip]
>> How does rebuild work?
>>
>> Rose
>>

>I am sorry, but I cannot understand what you are describing. An index
>is a segment, and a segment can only have extents in one tablespace
>(unless it is a partioned index in Oracle 8 +). Is it a partitioned

I'm using Oracle v7.3.4. If I query the extents that comprise the index, I see 24 total, in various sizes and tablespaces.

After I issue an "alter index <name> rebuild storage (initial xxx next xxx pctincrease 0) tablespace yyy", I see 6 extents, in various sizes and tablespaces for the index.

I expected extents of size xxx in tablespace yyy but that's not what happened and I'm curious why. Rebuild does not appear to honor the storage clause?

Rose Received on Fri Aug 06 1999 - 12:42:16 CDT