Migration to 8.05

From: sjl <sorry_at_noemail.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1999 13:31:45 -0500

We've got a relatively small Oracle 7.3.3 database (approx. 2GB) that we need to get migrated to version 8.05. I've tried to read and understand Oracle's docs on the Migration Utility and Migration Assistant - I've even gone so far as to actually try and use these "tools". However, I get nowhere fast. Oracle's own docs don't follow along with what I'm actually seeing on the screen and I'm left hanging with no migration.

My question: is the export/import option a good idea? My thinking is that I could just do a full export from the 7.3.3 db and then turn around and do a full import into a fresh 8.0.5 environment. Can I do all of this on one machine (without too much hassle)? Or do I realistically have to have another box to install the new 8.0.5 onto? In order to import the .dmp file, do I just need to re-create my tablespaces and that's it prior to importing?

Anybody had any experience with this that could offer any assistance? Thanks in advance.
sjl Received on Wed Jul 21 1999 - 13:31:45 CDT