Re: Migration to 8.05

From: <rspeaker_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 16:47:56 GMT

a database this small (2 GB) is defnitely a good candidate for the exp/imp option. I recently performed 2 migrations from 7.2.3 to 8.0.5, one using exp/imp and one using the Migration Utility. The migration tool, although reportedly quicker, took much longer because of the undocumented problems I encountered. In the end I did get it to work, but if you have already tried it and had problems, I would definitely suggest the exp/imp path. The process is fairly straightforward. Export existing data. Install Oracle8 binaries. Re-run (if you have them) the original db creation scripts from your Oracle7 database. Create your empty tablespaces in the Oracle8 database. Load your import file. Test and tune accordingly.

Good Luck!

-Roy

In article <7n53ma$6bm1_at_iac7.navix.net>,   "sjl" <sorry_at_noemail.com> wrote:
> We've got a relatively small Oracle 7.3.3 database (approx. 2GB) that
we
> need to get migrated to version 8.05. I've tried to read and
understand
> Oracle's docs on the Migration Utility and Migration Assistant - I've
even
> gone so far as to actually try and use these "tools". However, I get
> nowhere fast. Oracle's own docs don't follow along with what I'm
actually
> seeing on the screen and I'm left hanging with no migration.
>
> My question: is the export/import option a good idea? My thinking
is that
> I could just do a full export from the 7.3.3 db and then turn around
and do
> a full import into a fresh 8.0.5 environment. Can I do all of this
on one
> machine (without too much hassle)? Or do I realistically have to have
> another box to install the new 8.0.5 onto? In order to import the
.dmp
> file, do I just need to re-create my tablespaces and that's it prior
> importing?
>
> Anybody had any experience with this that could offer any assistance?
> Thanks in advance.
> sjl

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Fri Jul 23 1999 - 11:47:56 CDT