Re: Migration to 8.05

From: Jerry Gitomer <jgitomer_at_hbsrx.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 09:24:54 -0400

Hi,

    I prefer to use export/import since they are utilities that I use quite often and am familiar with. Especially with a 2GB database I think it is a lot easier to use export/import and not have to spend the time learning the idiosyncracies (sp?) of a utility that I will only use once (Okay, okay I will migrate more than one database now and will certainly be upgrading in the future, but by the time I next need to migrate I will have completely forgotten how to use the utility and I bet they will change it so my notes will be useless). Just do a full export and then do a cold backup on your 7.3.3 which, hopefully, you will not need. :-)

    Install 8.0.5 or 8.0.6 if it is available for your server and run the import.

    After you are satisfied you can remove 7.3.3 and its associated datafiles so you can recover the disk space.

regards
Jerry Gitomer

sjl wrote in message <7n53ma$6bm1_at_iac7.navix.net>...
>We've got a relatively small Oracle 7.3.3 database (approx. 2GB)
that we
>need to get migrated to version 8.05. I've tried to read and
understand
>Oracle's docs on the Migration Utility and Migration Assistant -
I've even
>gone so far as to actually try and use these "tools". However,
I get
>nowhere fast. Oracle's own docs don't follow along with what
I'm actually
>seeing on the screen and I'm left hanging with no migration.
>
>My question: is the export/import option a good idea? My
thinking is that
>I could just do a full export from the 7.3.3 db and then turn
around and do
>a full import into a fresh 8.0.5 environment. Can I do all of
this on one
>machine (without too much hassle)? Or do I realistically have
to have
>another box to install the new 8.0.5 onto? In order to import
the .dmp
>file, do I just need to re-create my tablespaces and that's it
prior to
>importing?
>
>Anybody had any experience with this that could offer any
assistance?