Re: Best version to buy?

From: Sybrand Bakker <postmaster_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 20:23:04 +0200

Hi Ted,

Main difference between Oracle 7 and Oracle 8 is

- different rowid format
- partition options added
- advanced queing mechanism added
- sqlnet 2 replaced by net 8
- administrative changes

Oracle 8i adds some 150 new features including a JVM in Oracle and lots more.
It looks like Oracle 8i is a kind of side-grade, you could look at it as a new product, focusing on Internet functionality which you may not need as long as you use Oracle Applications 10.7. This means 11: yes...
If you create a database using Oracle 8i, you will not be able to use it with Oracle 7.3, ie you cannot downgrade the database. You can connect Oracle 7 software to it, that will work. I would probably go for 7.3.4. At least we know that product is stable.

Of course this is all IMO.

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA