Re: long names in oracle 7.3, a problem???

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 1999 15:07:59 GMT

A copy of this was sent to "Rob van der Leer" <lnmsoft_at_lnm.nl> (if that email address didn't require changing) On Tue, 8 Jun 1999 16:02:39 +0200, you wrote:

>Hello,
>We've the following problem.
>We've send a SQL-script to a customer which creates tables, indexes etc. on
>an Oracle RDBMS.
>They have Oracle 7.3 running on a Novell Neteware 4.11 server.
>Now they say that their Oracle can't handle long names for tables and other
>db objects.
>It sound very strange to me, but can this be possible???
>If it is possible, can it be changed and does this have any effect on other
>existing databases??
>TIA
>Rob van der Leer
>rvdleer_at_lnm.nl

all v7 and v8 releases have the same limit -- 30 characters for identifiers.

Are they perhaps talking about LONG FILENAMES and your create tablespace statements are failing? That would be at the OS level.

See http://www.oracle.com/ideveloper/ for my column 'Digging-in to Oracle8i'... Mirrored (and more current) at http://govt.us.oracle.com/~tkyte/

Current article is "Fine Grained Access Control", added June 8'th

Opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect those of Oracle Corporation Received on Tue Jun 08 1999 - 10:07:59 CDT