Re: long names in oracle 7.3, a problem???

From: Shober's <bshober_at_erols.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 23:43:37 -0400

There is a limit on OS names of 8ch.3ch for naming. It does not effect internal to Oracle names, but your scripts might be creating datafile name that are too long. There is an option in Novell to load Long Name Support. Have them check into that. We don't use this as there could be MS-DOS systems that need to access that Volume. They would have problems reading Long Names. You could edit your scripts to make all OS references within the 8 & 3 limit.

Georgette P Cornio