Re: changing rollbacks

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sat, 29 May 1999 08:04:43 +0200

Hi Doug,
This sounds a bit strange. Let me recap You have three tablespaces, each consisting of 1 datafile (it's not the other way around, the big picture is one database consists of one or multiple tablespaces and one tablespace consists of one or more datafiles) and each of those three tablespaces with only 1 rollback segment in it. Initially the rollbacks were sized at 70M. Dropping any object doesn't clear out datafiles, if it clears out anything is clears out tablespaces.
Apparently, if the system is complaining about resize, the tablespace is not empty.
This can be caused by the rollbacks not being dropped (you don't say you put them offline first, you probably did), or other objects being there. The only way to verify is to query the dba_extents view for the suspected tablespaces and see what's reported.
You are right in saying, that if you would drop the tablespaces (INCLUDING CONTENTS), then that would probably resolve it. However, you must have objects sitting in those tablespaces.

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA