changing rollbacks

From: Doug Cowles <dcowles_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 15:07:29 -0400

I could be just tired - but somthing's bugging me. I have three rollbacks,
intitially sized at 70M on datafiles of 1.5 GB each. One tablespace per

datafile, and one rollback segment for each tablespace. Nothing else in

the tablespaces but their respective rollbacks.

I wanted to change the intial size of the three rollbacks to 300M, and then
shrink the datafiles to 600M. I dropped the three rollbacks, (which I thought
would clear out the datafiles completely), and then recreated them with the new
storage parameters. When I try to shrink the datafiles to 600M, it tells me
, ORA-03297: file contains 641 blocks of data beyond the requested RESIZE value.

Now, it's Friday, and I'm leaving this one, but instinct tells me if I re-create the
tablespace, everything will be dandy.. but how can this happen? If I've dropped any
segments that are in that tablespace, corresponding to a rollback segment whose
high water mark never exceeded 300M, why would there be data or allocated extents
floating around the 600M mark??

Thanks in advance,
Dc. Received on Fri May 28 1999 - 14:07:29 CDT