Re: Q: Oracle v. SQL Server

From: Charlie Elgholm <charlie.elgholm_at_afs.skandia.se>
Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 09:03:50 GMT

> I've worked with SQL Server for several years, and with Oracle for
some
> months. I've followed some of your flame wars, and the discussion
seems
> to start with speed and reliability issues and end up with Hitler <g>.
>
> As I said, I have only worked with Oracle Server for some months, but
so
> far I am very impressed with the product. It has a lot of features
> important to me as a developer, stuff like the power of PL/SQL
compared
> to T-SQL, the quality of the PL/SQL-compiler is much better than
> Microsofts, I love user-defined functions.
>
> Some of the good things about SQL Server is the simplicity, I can
> transfer a database from one server to another using Enterprise
Damager.
> It also has very good programs for administrering a server. I still
> don't know the difference between SYS/INTERNAL and SYSTEM users, or
> DBA/SYSDBA and so on. And who is this SCOTT guy???
>
> Anyway, can someone fill me in on the things that separates Oracle
from
> MS SQL Server from a developers perspective? Does anyone use objects,
> object views, multiple instances, triggers written in Java, varrays,
> nested tables, Oracle pipes, dimensions and materialized views,
> Queuing, or is this stuff just feature creep from the Marketing
> department?
>
> What is really bad about Oracle, and therefore should be avoided?
>
> Thanks in advance

I agree with you on the way you compare Oracle vs SQL-Server. Although I haven't worked with SQL-Server in a real production environment, just tested it for myself a couple of times. But I have worked with Oracle, a lot. I can tell you this. The "Stored Procedure" language in SQL-Server is not really a programming language, just a BATCH-SQL language if I were allowed to say so. PL/SQL is a programming language. A strong one also. If you are one of those guys programming PASCAL/C++ back in the late 80's or in the beginning of the 90 you know what I mean. Well yeah sure, I use VB also - it's nice. But PL/SQL is powerful, very strong typing and you can not have dynamic variables and stuff like that that really help you developing. But when you come to think of it, those functions don't really help you develop anything, the just make you dumber. We've built a complete Business Management systemet written entirely in Oracle PL/SQL which has a HTML/WEB user-frontend. It works great. PL/SQL is so unbelievably fast so you just get upset about not having to tune your programming! Oracle DB - Great. Ok, and now for the bad part:
Oracle Application Server, Oracle Enterprise Manager, Oracle Discoverer, Oracle Sales Analyser, Oracle whatever.. Damn! Who the fuck made these programs?? I can tell you one thing, it was not the same guys that made the DB! I've been involved in an Oracle project för almost 2 years now. The DB has hung 2 times i believe. Our Oracle Application Server (which we must use to output our PL/SQL code as HTML) is hanging as we speak. 5-10 times a week, atleast! And all there other "Middleware" products suck! There's so unstable you can hardly believe it. Yeah and I know that some Oracle guy is reading this a getting upset, ok, your doing the Middleware in Java so it can be easily ported by you, but if it doesn't work in our Windows NT environment it just isn't interesting for us if is was easy to port by you! (I know Windows NT sucks, but we pay a lot of money to the Oracle Corp. for there worthless products). I mean, hey come on, what is Enterprise Manager really, just a SQL-frontend for your DB. The sad thing is that people spend their entiry day in Enterprise Manager just to do a backup of the DB, and those people doesn't know really what happening, they just push buttons. Instead you could have done an export and you'd have been done in 10 seconds AND known what had happened. And Oracle Application Server. Damn. The only thing I wan't to do is to run PL/SQL code. I want a program that listens to a port, scans the request and runs the correspoonding PL/SQL code. I mean, how hard can it be? The OAS takes up somewhere around 20-40 MB i memory when running 1 single Application. Are you guys for real? If it hadn't been for all the politics at my company we would have built our own PL/SQL cartridge!
Puh.. (Got something out of me there didn't I?)

So, now you've got my opinion. The Oracle DB is extremely fast and reliable and the power of PL/SQL is exactly what I need! But the other Oracle products, do as I do: Try to stay away from them! They're bad!

--== Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/ ==-- ---Share what you know. Learn what you don't.--- Received on Mon May 24 1999 - 04:03:50 CDT