Newbie: problem with user access to tablespace

From: Allan Tingey <al_at_ibis.genetics.utah.edu>
Date: Thu, 08 Apr 1999 12:19:36 -0500

Hi,

I have a lot of experience with computers but I am new to oracle...

I have recently set up an 8.0.3 server on a Dec(Compaq) Alpha server. Created a database with tablespace, etc...

I am confused about schemas. I would like to create tables that can be updated by certain users and readable by others.

Currently, I can create tables in the proper tablespace when logged in as system but not when logged in as another user. Another user can access a table created by system if I qualify the query with system.tablename but I suspect that this not the way things or usually done.

If you can tell me how to do following or direct me to the correct documentation I would really appreciate it...

  1. Under what schema should your main tables be created and what needs to be done so that database users can access those tables?
  2. Currently, only my system account can create tables in the tablespace I want to use. Other users get a "no privileges on tablespace" message when trying to create a table, even though this is their default tablespace. What do I need to do to these accounts so they can work with tables in their default tablespace?

Thanks for your help.
Please reply to al_at_howard.genetics.utah.edu (or post in newsgroup). My al_at_ibis address sometimes fails.

Allan Tingey Received on Thu Apr 08 1999 - 12:19:36 CDT