Re: Newbie: problem with user access to tablespace

From: TurkBear <johng_at_nospam.mm.com>
Date: Thu, 08 Apr 1999 18:19:50 GMT

First - Do not create anything in the system tablespace ....Leave that for Oracle created stuff only....

Then,
Create a user for yourself to use as the DBA ( grant it all priviliges - see manual )

Create a tablespace ( other than system ) for holding the tables

Build the tables in this tablespace
Create public synonyms for the tables
( i.e. create public synonym mynewtable for mydbausername,mynewtable ) Grant priviliges on this synonym to the user(s)

If you want to allow users to create tables then create a tablespace for them and make it their default tablespace ( grant resource on that tablespace to user(s) )

Hope it helps,
( The Server Administrator's guide is a good source for info about managing your server)

Hope it helps,

--------------snip----------------------------

>1. Under what schema should your main tables be created and what
> needs to be done so that database users can access those tables?
>
>2. Currently, only my system account can create tables in the
> tablespace I want to use. Other users get a "no privileges on
> tablespace" message when trying to create a table, even though
> this is their default tablespace. What do I need to do to these
> accounts so they can work with tables in their default tablespace?
>
>Thanks for your help.
>Please reply to al_at_howard.genetics.utah.edu (or post in newsgroup).
>My al_at_ibis address sometimes fails.
>
>Allan Tingey

To reply please remove the 'nospam' part of the address Received on Thu Apr 08 1999 - 13:19:50 CDT