Re: Oracle7.2.3 to Oracle8.0.5

From: Kelly Young <young_at_maricopa.edu>
Date: Thu, 08 Apr 1999 10:07:44 -0700

Sunil Jayasinghe wrote:

> hi
>
> Is migrating from Oracle7.2.3 to Oracle8.0.5 safe
> using the migrate tool (what can go wrong?).
> or should I use export/import?
>
> Thanks
> Sunil

If your database is small, I would recommend going the export/import route. Otherwise, migrate. If you migrate, make sure you do some test runs. Here's some pitfalls you should be aware of:

  1. Make sure you have adequate free space in your SYSTEM tablespace.
  2. Make sure your SYSTEM rollback segment has plenty of available extents.
  3. The migration invalidates all packages, procedures, and views. So you should be prepared to recompile all those objects. -- Kelly Young Maricopa Community Colleges young_at_maricopa.edu