Re: Change db block size will improve performance ? ?

From: Juergen Gmeiner <jg_at_tiani.com>
Date: 02 Apr 1999 13:27:56 +0200

agi_at_mail.taicom.com.tw writes:

> My DB is 7.2.3 on Dec Alpha/2000,1 CPU, Physical memory 256MB, with Dec
> UNIX.
>
> I want to increase the db block size from 2k to 8k during the exp/imp
> recently.
>
> I just wonder that increasing the blocksize will/won't improve performance
> ????

i never worked on an alpha/dec unix, but it should be a good idea to use a multiple of the os-io-blocksize. on aix, this would be 4k or 8k, same goes for linux. on vax/vms, a multiple of 512 bytes.
on alpha/dec unix, i don't know.

other than that, it depends on what you're doing with your db (large records? large transactions?)

hth,
juergen Received on Fri Apr 02 1999 - 05:27:56 CST