serialized transactions

From: Mohamad SALEH <msaleh_at_orsys.fr>
Date: Fri, 02 Apr 1999 12:33:41 +0200

I have a plateforme Solaris 2.6 intel x86. Oracle server 7.3.3. The documentation says that the granularity is on a row level.

I simply use two concurrent transactions. Here the instructions I use in chronological order.
Column C1 is a primary key, v1, v2 are different values of C1.

"Transaction 1"

1 - SET TRANSACTION ISOLATION LEVEL SERIALIZED; 2 - SELECT * FROM T;
"Transaction 2 "

3 - UPDATE T SET C2 = ... WHERE C1 = v1; 4 - COMMIT;
"Transaction 1" : Suite

5- SELECT * FROM T;
6 - UPDATE T SET C2 = ... WHERE C1 = v2; 7 - UPDATE T SET C2 = ... WHERE C1 = v1;

In this sequence and on this plateform, I have the message in step 7 stating that it is not possible to serialize which is conform to the documentation.

But when I add even a SELECT statement on transaction 2, I have the message on the 6th!
I made a test on NT with Oracle 7.3.4 and there the message notifying the problem is always on the 6th step
even with the sequence described up here.

Please repond by E-mail and thanks in advance. Received on Fri Apr 02 1999 - 04:33:41 CST