Re: Disappearing Oracle Start Service

From: Van Messner <vmessner_at_netaxis.com>
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 1999 17:05:44 -0500

For Dejanews:

    Here are the answers. When Oracle for NT (in the database assistant or as part of the install) creates a database it creates two services. The first is called OracleServiceSID and the second is OracleStartSID. You can see them in control panel/services.

    If you are creating your own database you can create these services yourself using the utility Oradim80. First build your init.ora or pfile.

To create an instance as well as the OracleServiceSID do this: C:\......>oradim80 -NEW -SID JUNK -INTPWD INTERNAL This creates the service named OracleServiceJUNK with the instance JUNK with a password of INTERNAL for internal.

To get rid of the instance and service do this: C:\......>oradim80 -DELETE -SID JUNK C:\......>oradim80 -DELETE -SRVC ORACLESERVICEJUNK

To create an instance as well as two oracle services OracleServiceSID and OracleStartSID do this:
C:\......>oradim80 -NEW -SID JUNK -INTPWD INTERNAL -STARTMODE AUTO -PFILE G:\ORANT8\INITJUNK.ORA
This creates the services named OracleServiceJUNK and OracleStartJUNK with the instance JUNK and a password of INTERNAL for internal.

To get rid of the instance and services do this:

C:\.....>oradim80  -DELETE  -SID  JUNK
C:\.....>oradim80  -DELETE  -SRVC  ORACLESERVICEJUNK
C:\.....>oradim80  -DELETE  -SRVC  ORACLESTARTJUNK

There are other options which you can see by running oradim80 with no flags: C:\.....>oradim80
But once you've created the basic services it's probably easier to manipulate them in control panel/services