Re: Dropping Tables - Slow Performance

From: Jurij Modic <jmodic_at_src.si>
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 1999 22:14:22 GMT

On Sun, 31 Jan 1999 20:51:06 +0000, Karl Royle <Karl_at_jabberwocky.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>In article <36b314af_at_news3.ibm.net>, Nicolas Bronke <NBronke_at_Trinity.de>
>writes
>>Try to truncate the data of the tables first. Truncate remove data without
>>using rollbacks.
>
>I'd be tempted to agree, if only because it's the simple solution. 9/10
>people claiming to have a performance problem dropping are just
>forgetting to truncate first. I'm surprised Oracle haven't 'optimized'
>that statement (DROP TABLE FRED)!

Hm, is this based on any practical experience? If it is, can you elaborate why would TRUNCATE+DROP be any faster then simple DROP?

IMHO, TRUNCATE before DROP is totaly redundant. Rollback activity (mentioned by Nicolas) is totaly irrelevant as both TRUNCATE and DROP are DDL commands, which don't produce any undo entries. The usual reason for bad performance of DROPs is a segment composed by many extents, which means havy updating/deleting activity on database dictionary structures. And here the TRUNCATE can not be of any help, I belive.

>Karl Royle

Regards,
Jurij Modic <jmodic_at_src.si>
Certified Oracle7 DBA (OCP)

The above opinions are mine and do not represent any official standpoints of my employer Received on Sun Jan 31 1999 - 16:14:22 CST