Re: sqlplus small doubt

From: Rodgers, Tony (CEI-Atlanta) <Tony.Rodgers_at_cox.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 13:04:03 -0500

The reason he mentioned this is that Oracle has been saying for some time now that these predefined roles were provided for "backward compatibility" to earlier database versions. However, they're never actually stated that they would drop support of these predefined roles, and in fact, go on to state in the Database Concepts Guide that these roles "... can be modified in the same manner as any other role in an Oracle database" which almost implies that we can feel free to continue using these roles and modifying them to best suit our needs. Instead of CONNECT, you use CREATE SESSION. The problem is that CONNECT is a nice and handy single role for about 8 privileges typically used by a common userid. We could always create our own version of CONNECT, but why bother with it when Oracle is still doing it for us? Eventually, Oracle may tell us that to upgrade, we may need to change these roles, but I don't think we're going to see that anytime real soon.